[Ugrads] Mobile Santa Barbara Event: Security Threats on Mobile: What You & App Developers Can Do About It

Sheryl Reimers sreimers at cs.ucsb.edu
Mon May 5 10:33:51 PDT 2014

Mobile Santa Barbara Meetup is having a conversation about mobile security!

Security has been a constant presence in the news. We just heard about
the Heartbleed exploit that affected many of the largest websites and,
also, millions of Android phones. However, there are many common,
everyday threats to our security when we use our smartphones. Some of
those threats are the apps that we love. As much as 97% of the mobile
apps we use may be insecure.

In this meetup, we'll be joined by Yanick Fratantonio and John Kennedy
to discuss:

[1] threats to users of smartphones, and
[2] best security practices for developers.

Yanick is a computer security researcher at UCSB who leads a DARPA
project on Android security. He has written several papers on the
subject and presented his work at the Blackhat Conference. John is the
Chief Security Architect at Citrix. He is responsible for the strategic
vision, design, and implementation of security architecture and the
security development lifecycle for all Citrix SaaS products.

Citrix is proudly sponsoring this Mobile SB Event; they look forward to
meeting all of you and sharing the latest advancements in mobile world.

--
Dr. Thomas Kuo, PhD
COO/CTO, EcoLek LLC