[Ugrads] Fwd: Recruiting students for an OR-approved study on learning in virtual reality]

Benji Dunson benji at cs.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 22 14:00:27 PDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Recruiting students for an OR-approved study on learning in
virtual reality]
Date: 	Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:53:42 -0700
From: 	Jatila van der Veen <jatila at physics.ucsb.edu>
To: 	benji at cs.ucsb.edu

Dear Undergraduate Advisor:

I am in the Physics Department, and I am contacting you to ask whether you
would be willing to send a message to undergrads in your department
about  participating in a research study which will test students'
learning of astronomy in virtual reality. I am looking for volunteers to give us
approximately one hour of time, for which they will be compensated $10/hour,
to learn how to navigate in a virtual solar system, complete a small
exploration task, and provide feedback.

If you don't mind, would you please forward the following message to your
undergrad mailing list, and/or faculty who are teaching undergraduates?

Thank you very much,
Dr. Jatila van der Veen,
Project Scientist, Physics Department

Attention Undergrads!

Are you taking any science or math courses this quarter? Are you interested in
games and computer simulations? If you answered 'yes' to either of these
questions, then we invite you to participate in a research study about
learning astronomy in Virtual Reality! All we ask is for approximately 1 hour
of your time. You can keep the simulation if you wish, and may even get to use
the new Oculus Rift!

See the full announcement at
http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~jatila/Recruitment.pdf .

If interested, please contact Dr. Jatila van der Veen at jatila at physics.ucsb.edu
with the days and times you are available.

You will be rewarded with a $10 gift certificate, and have the satisfaction of
helping improve astronomy education!

This study has been approved by the Office of Research Human Subjects Committee.

Thank you for your time in reading this announcement.

Jatila van der Veen, Ph.D.
Project Scientist, UCSB Department of Physics
Lecturer, College of Creative Studies, UCSB
Project Manager, Planck Mission Education and Public Outreach, JPL/NASA
mobile: 1.805.403.7935
office: 1.805.893.8418
web page: www.physics.ucsb.edu/~jatila