[angr] Help with angr

Niddodi, Chaitra chaitra at illinois.edu
Sun Mar 11 17:48:06 PDT 2018

Thank you. It's working now.

Thanks,
Chaitra

-------- Original message --------
From: Audrey Dutcher <audrey at rhelmot.io>
Date: 3/11/18 4:34 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: "Niddodi, Chaitra" <chaitra at illinois.edu>
Cc: angr at lists.cs.ucsb.edu
Subject: Re: [angr] Help with angr

Hi,

If your binary is dynamically linked, angr will provide its own implementations of many common library functions, called SimProcedures. These implementations are just as privileged from a syscall from angr's point of view, so if the function would normally need to invoke a syscall in order to finish, it will not actually call a syscall since the SimProcedure can just tweak the state at the highest permission level it likes. There is not a mapping available for which procedure implementations "implicitly perform syscalls".

To disable the use of these models, you should provide use_sim_procedures=False to the Project constructor. However, you must have all the dynamic libraries requested by the program available. angr will search in a few place for these, notably in your system libs folders, in the current working directory, and in the same folder as the binary. You can set except_missing_libs=True to throw an exception if any library is not available.

Thanks,
- Audrey