[angr] question about C

Yan zardus at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:04:14 PDT 2016

Hi Mohammad,

Maybe you didn't get our previous replies. Here they are.

First, from Fish:

================

Hi Mohammad,

When performing symbolic execution, angr-management lacks a lot of useful
feedbacks. I would suggest you use angr from IPython or a .py file and do
symbolic execution, and see what sort of warnings/errors you get from
there. Post whatever error you get and we can see what’s going on.

In general, the SimProcedure _isoc99_scanf works for simple parameters. If
your parameters are complex, angr cannot handle it.

Best,

Fish
================

Then, my followup:

================
As an elaboration:

When a SimProcedure can't handle enough complexity (i.e., the case here
with scanf), you can avoid using the SimProcedure. This is done by setting
the `use_sim_procedures` flag to False when creating the Project. You can
also avoid using specific SimProcedures (i.e., just scanf) by passing in a
list of exclusions through the `exclude_sim_procedures_list` parameter. Of
course, the whole point of SimProcedures is to reduce the analysis
complexity, so you might then find that your analysis undergoes a path
explosion. Adding some constraints on the input ahead of time will help
avoid this.

- Yan

Hope that helped!
- Yan